Monday, July 12, 2021

Rethinking Nefesh Hachaim - A Contemporary Mashgiach Reexamines a Yeshivishe Classic

The sefer נפש החיים, by Rav Chaim Volozhiner זצ"ל, is a Litvishe Yeshivishe classic studied by many. In recent years it has been the subject of new attention, both from inside and outside the traditional circles that study it. But there is also at times confusion and disagreement about some points related to the major work.

A great article in the current issue of the English language Mishpacha magazine takes a new look at the sefer with the well-known mashgiach Rav Reuven Leuchter שליט"א.

Rav Leuchter is an interesting personality, who Mishpacha has featured in the past. In a video interview with them some months ago, for example, he responded to a question about neo-Mussar vs. neo-Chassidus, revealed that in his Kollel there is no mussar seder (he made a tenai there shouldn't be one, "בשום פנים ואופן"!, see interview for explanation), and commented on teachings of self-development gurus as opposed to mussar.

It is nice to see such התחדשות (renewal) and sincere interest in such things these days. As Rav Leuchter grasps well, mussar and מצות אנשים מלומדה don't go together. Rote mussar is sort of an oxymoron, a contradiction in terms.

May הקב"ה give him the strength to continue his important work, and go מחיל אל חיל.

5 comments:

  1. Rabbi Yisroel Salanter promoted Mussar because he correctly recognized that there are people who are knowledgeable but their middos are lacking. That is ad true today as it was almost 200 years ago. I used to attend a Rabbi Miller influenced yeshiva and I was insulted on numerous occasions simply for expressing my point of view. Last week I ran into one of the Yeshiva's Talmidim and I told him that any time the Rosh Yeshiva wants to talk to me I'll be there. I'm not holding out any hope. Many years ago I heard a speech from Rav Reuvein Feinstein. He said that Judaism isn't that complicated. You have to be a Mensch and know the basics. Maybe I'm being overly simplistic, but I read, for example, Yochanan Gordon in the 5TJT, going on about Atzilus and Yechida and other Bubba Masse and it's gobbledygook. Torah which doesn't impact positively on a person is abhorrent to Hashem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Lubavicher finally finished teaching me the Sicha in which the Rebbe "proved" that every Jew will be redeemed Leasid Lavo. He has two Rayos. The first is as follows: At the Seder we tell the wicked son,"Had you been there you wouldn't have been redeemed" So the Rebbe makes a Diyuk,"There I.e. in Mitzrayim the Rosho wouldn't be redeemed, but he will be at the final redemption." Now the second Raya. When the Jews came out of Egypt the relationship between Hashem and the Bnei Yisroel changed from father son to master and Eved and this relationship is much stronger. Not impressed? Neither was I. What's particularly striking is that he didn't even mention the Gemara which explicitly refutes his contention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I've mentioned the Rebbe seemed to be oblivious to the fact that he favored positions which were at odds with our traditions. I found a Lubavicher on line who said over the pertinent Gemara Sanhedrin 111a that few will merit to see Moshiach just as few merited to leave Egypt and come to Israel. First he said it Kipshuto and he did a fine job. Right after, however, he completely Shlugged up the Pshat by arguing that there's a Rashi on Devarim 30:6 which "proves" that in fact every Jew will be redeemed when Moshiach comes. I think that Chabad has taken a page right out of the Christian playbook, misquoting and distorting Psukim. I would appreciate if someone from the group could tell me where I could find the Gemara which says that there's no Nevuah until Moshiach comes. I want to see how that Lubavicher learns that Gemara because they all believe that the Rebbi was a Novi. By the way the Rebbi clearly stated that certain individuals throughout the last two millennia have achieved the prophetic state(this is found in the Gutnick Chumash.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I would appreciate if someone from the group could tell me where I could find the Gemara which says that there's no Nevuah until Moshiach comes."

    Perhaps you are thinking of Talmud Bavli Bava Basra 12b, א"ר יוחנן מיום שחרב בית המקדש ניטלה נבואה מן הנביאים וניתנה לשוטים ולתינוקות.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mr. L. If I find a Lubavicher who comments on this Gemara I'll make a posting. Many years ago I attended a shul which had a militant Chabad Rabbi. I used to speak during Shalosh Seudos. On one occasion I mentioned that the Gemara doesn't necessarily consider wealth to be a benefit. The Rabbi interrupted me mid sentence and announced,"The Rebbe said that all Jews are princes and a prince must be rich. He then added that the Rebbe said that everyone should devote all their efforts into becoming rich. What struck me at the time is that he wasn't the least bit concerned that what the Rebbe said contradicted the Gemara. This is in line with their belief that the Rebbe transcends the Torah.

    ReplyDelete