Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Neo-Chasidic Desecration of Cemeteries

In another inversion of Jewish tradition, to go along with their Tisha Be'Av kumzitzes, and festive Selichos before Rosh Hashanah, Neo-Chasidim have taken to - ר"ל - desecrating cemeteries, in particular resting places of great Jewish leaders, traditionally places of quiet repose, serious contemplation, and prayer, turning them into places of singing, music, and even dancing at times.

Here, we see a recent clip of such activity, with one of the leading Neo-Chasidus leaders, Rebbe Moshe Weinberger, of Woodmere, New York, USA, at a cemetery in ארץ ישראל. This is just a very recent example, by the way, but by no means the only one, as this antic has been already observed for a while among them during their various tours, including singing at the kever of the Chasam Sofer a while back, with accompanying guitar strumming and dancing.

Once again, we see how their claim that they don't change anything in Jewish practice, that they rather just add flavor and meaning, is false. This group is violating ancient traditions and halachos, with seemingly near impunity. They must be held accountable for these breaches. If they are not, who knows where they will end up, ר"ל. 

Let them try such things at places like the kevarim of the Satmar Rebbe(s), Gerrer Rebbe(s), Bobover Rebbe(s), or even Lubavitcher Rebbes, and see what happens. I think they would get a rude awakening, and a strong lesson in proper traditional cemetery behavior.

May הקב"ה send to them a spirit of repentance, a רוח תשובה, so they return to traditional Jewish practice. If that does not happen soon, Jewish leaders, rabbonim, and even laypeople, should make it very clear to them and the public at large that such deviations are not acceptable, and that they will be held accountable for them.

5 comments:

  1. People like Weinberger have followers who accept whatever they say and do implicitly. I know this will rub some people the wrong way, but the same is true for the Rebbe and Rabbi Miller. They have cult followings who don't have the ability to think for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree that some of their followers are like that, but not all. Others are more open-minded, and independent thinking, and when shown evidence of error, will reconsider things.

      Delete
    2. I have such respect for you, Mr. L. because you print my somewhat controversial posts. In 2020 I wrote a mildly critical letter about Chabad(nothing compared to what I say here) to the FTJT and the editor, who promotes himself, as fair and openminded, told me that I need extensive therapy because everyone knows that 99% of Chabad is perfect. Of course he didn't print what I sent.

      Delete
    3. At times some have been blocked, but you make good points and share valuable information from the field at others. Even if we don't agree with all your comments, they can stimulate worthwhile discussion. If some Lubavitchers try to gaslight people who disagree with them, that is shameful. In the long run, neutral observers will see past the Chabad PR manipulations and machinations, especially with help from more knowledgeable observers and analysts, as we feature here.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. I try to be a Kuchleffel because I want people to think. From my experience most people in the Chareidi world are unwilling and or unable to think. Rather they rely on following others. I'll give you ah f'rinstance as they used to say in the hood. Some years ago I said that I'm anti Chabad. Seine said to me oh you're a follower of Dr. Berger. I said no I'm an agreer of his. One must learn to think for himself.

    ReplyDelete